Tuesday, January 23

Poem - Dream within a Dream

I sit, staring out my window
My mind is empty but full is my heart
I see in the rain, only sorrow
My love and me - so far apart.

I close my eyes for a moment only
My dreams are of a field full of beauty
I think to myself, ‘Here I will not be lonely’
My strength for him: my new found duty.

I stand quiet in this beautiful field
My eyes up watching the darkening sky
I, unwilling to let my barriers yield
My tears held back so I will not cry.

I, at the window, open my eyes
My surprise as I look, I can not hide
I sit in my field of dreams, is this all lies?
My grasp on reality is gone, I have no guide.

I raise myself, heart racing, and turning, see
You, my love, are standing there, smiling
I try to speak but all words have failed me
You stand there still, my dear, now crying.

I lower my guard and run, my love, to you
You open your arms to me, call my name
I embrace you, my dear, but no answer, as I knew
You are not there with me, my mind’s game.

I open my eyes in bed, sitting up in tears
My mind, the winner, has worked its scheme
I walk to my window, hearing the rain’s jeers
My sorrow this: my dream within a dream.

by Myself

1 comment:

Aaron.D.Nemoyer said...

That's a great poem, Jess. Obviously, it's written from your life and experiences. I passed it on to my girlfriend in MN though, and Heidi agrees that it's great. Thanks for sharing,