Tuesday, July 18

Back Stabber

A couple weeks ago, during a sermon, I was looking down at one of our church's fans which had a picture of Da Vinci's Last Supper on it. Now, I'm not sure what people have heard but my aunt, after reading The Da Vinci Code, showed mum and me the mysterious hand in the picture that is holding a knife but doesn't belong to anyone in the picture... Example....


Now, as you can see in this picture - there are four of the twelve discples shown. Three have both their hands accounted for and the one that does not is wearing a blue garment which is different from the brown sleeve on the wrist of the hand with the knife. Now, I ask the readers... who is the knife behind? Well, if you look at the man's right hand you'll see he's holding a little bag which mean that the man is Judas and he has his silver pieces already at the Supper. I was looking at this picture a long time when something my mum had told me about Da Vinci popped into my brain and got it working - Leonardo Da Vinci had a strange sense of sarcasim and humor that he would often put into his paintings, it was always subtle and could take a while to dawn on a person. I think this is another one of his subtle sarcasims... I have heard people saying that its the had of Satan, or a Roman, and other such things but I think it only has a verbal meaning. I think it's there to represent the known fact that Judaus Iscariot was a 'Back Stabber'.

No comments: